ATCS Receiver Coverage...

Started by Bob Denny, September 19, 2019, 06:44:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Denny

September 19, 2019, 06:44:20 pm Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 06:46:16 pm by Bob Denny
Is theis the right place to discuss Trainmon5 ATCS vs ATCS Mon? I have been watcing the traffic through the VRF Flagstaff camera vs ATCS Monitor vs Trainmon5. I often see stuff on ATCS Mon that isn't showing on Trainmon5 (which looks to be static at times). I'm using the atcs-bnsf.railfanaz.com:4891 on ATCS Mon. It often updates when TrainMon5 is not showing traffic there. Are the servers part of the layout? How about the known MCPs?

Jeff

Hello @Bob Denny, welcome to our site.   Let me help answer your questions:

1. Is theis the right place to discuss Trainmon5 ATCS vs ATCS Mon?  Yes.
2. I have been watcing the traffic through the VRF Flagstaff camera vs ATCS Monitor vs Trainmon5. Cool, we just installed a new site this past weekend to better coverage.
3. I often see stuff on ATCS Mon that isn't showing on Trainmon5 (which looks to be static at times).  I'm using the atcs-bnsf.railfanaz.com:4891 on ATCS Mon.  Correct, it is the same server for both Classic ATCS Program (Windows) and TrainMon5. Is it through-out the day or once/twice a day?
4. It often updates when TrainMon5 is not showing traffic there. I wonder if it maybe inactivity, TM5 clears when the Control Points go inactive.
5. Are the servers part of the layout? How about the known MCPs? Yes, they are the same servers and yes the TM5 Layout has been matched with each MCP.

I will look into the backend of the layout and see if there is a way to maybe increase the timeout or not clear the indications when inactive.

Hope this helps.
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster
ATCS Server Manager:
- BNSF Seligman Sub (Kingman, Crozier, Williams, Parks, West Flagstaff, East Flagstaff and Winslow).
- UP Eastern Yuma, Gila, Phoenix, and Western Lordsburg Subs (Yuma, Fortuna, Tacna, Casa Grande, Mesa and South Tucson).

Bob Denny

Hi Jeff --

Thanks very much for the fast reply. I am fascinated by this stuff as you might guess. I will try to be more specific about the times I see differences between TM5 and ATCSM. I have seen ATCSM show inbounds, and the trains appear, yet TM5 is not showing anything. I will definitely try to catch this, maybe in a video with time stamps. I know it's impossible to diagnose with not enough info. I was just feeling it out. It will be a while on this because my time is really limited.

PS (and off-topic) I actually put together a Raspberry Pi and NESDR to test as an ATCS receiver (as opposed to the MOT radios, etc). At my location I am not picking up anything but I haven't put on an LNA and the antenna is indoors ha ha, a loser. My naive/novice plan was to assemble it all including the Rail Watch Monitor software then donate it as a receiver for the Barstow area. Maybe talk the Virtual railfan guys into letting it share the net hookup for their railcams. It would take a microscopic fraction of their bandwidth. Getting permission for the antenna could be a real problem.

Jeff

You are welcome Bob.  One thing to note, the servers reboot at 2am and 2pm, this will cause TrainMon5 to stall until about 2:15a/2:15p (15 minutes later), just have to refresh and it should reconnect.  It will be tricky in California cause of the Laws in place there for the antenna.  Depending on the Host as well.
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster
ATCS Server Manager:
- BNSF Seligman Sub (Kingman, Crozier, Williams, Parks, West Flagstaff, East Flagstaff and Winslow).
- UP Eastern Yuma, Gila, Phoenix, and Western Lordsburg Subs (Yuma, Fortuna, Tacna, Casa Grande, Mesa and South Tucson).