Very confused

Started by ddodell, December 26, 2019, 08:25:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ddodell

Hi, I'm new to RailfanAZ and TrainMon5 ... have accounts setup, and can monitor BNSF Seligman sub on TrainMon5.

Looking for some basic instructions ...

(1) Any good material on understanding all of the symbols, colors, etc on TrainMon5?

(2) How are you all able to tell what train is coming / going?    On TrainMon5 it appears I can just tell what section of tracks are in use, but not the actual trains movement?   

(3) I want to get into doing some train photography / videotaping / drone videos so I figured everyone is having an approximate location of the trains themselves instead of just guessing where they are at?    Am I missing something fundamental?

Any documentation I can read would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

David

Jeff

December 26, 2019, 09:19:14 pm #1 Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 09:19:38 pm by Jeff
(1) Any good material on understanding all of the symbols, colors, etc on TrainMon5?
TrainMon5 is still new however when you load a layout, there should be a "Symbol Key" at least the one that @j3rsdm5 for UP and I did for the BNSF that are both in Arizona. There are also the basic colors which this might help: https://www.railfanaz.com/index.php/topic,5000.0.html

(2) How are you all able to tell what train is coming / going?    On TrainMon5 it appears I can just tell what section of tracks are in use, but not the actual trains movement?
Just have to following which way the RED line is going towards the Green Signals/Lines, the link above in Q1 might help.  Won't be able to see the railroad information as of yet.   

(3) I want to get into doing some train photography / videotaping / drone videos so I figured everyone is having an approximate location of the trains themselves instead of just guessing where they are at?    Am I missing something fundamental?
For UP, there are some good spots along the Gila and Lordsburg Subs however mostly desert and about 23-26 trains a day, not much volume. @Jakesiegel_3 is pretty good along the UP.  For BNSF, there are spots all over the place on the Seligman Sub and with 50-70 trains a day, you will never be bored.  @tferk is our main goto guy for the Seligman Sub.

Hope this helps.
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster
ATCS Server Manager:
- BNSF Needles, Seligman Subs (Goffs, Lake Havasu, Kingman, Walapai, Crozier, Williams, Parks, West Flagstaff, East Flagstaff and Winslow).
- UP Eastern Yuma, Gila, Phoenix, and Western Lordsburg Subs (Yuma, Fortuna, Tacna, Casa Grande, Mesa and South Tucson).

ddodell

Thank you .. that is a good start!

If I installed the Windows ACTS program, would I be able to see the rail information?

Jeff

December 26, 2019, 09:32:57 pm #3 Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 09:33:22 pm by Jeff
Quote from: ddodell on December 26, 2019, 09:28:14 pmThank you .. that is a good start!

If I installed the Windows ACTS program, would I be able to see the rail information?

You are welcome.  Nope on the rail information.  That is Proprietary Information to the Railroad.  The Windows ATCS Program is the original application for Railfans to use to monitor the traffic.  TrainMon5 made it possible for all devices (not just Windows) with a compatible web browser to use it.
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster
ATCS Server Manager:
- BNSF Needles, Seligman Subs (Goffs, Lake Havasu, Kingman, Walapai, Crozier, Williams, Parks, West Flagstaff, East Flagstaff and Winslow).
- UP Eastern Yuma, Gila, Phoenix, and Western Lordsburg Subs (Yuma, Fortuna, Tacna, Casa Grande, Mesa and South Tucson).

ddodell

Then when I watch some of your videos, and others ... how do they know what trains are coming so they can get out in advance to do photography ... is it totally random?

I just assumed individuals had some way to know what trains were moving where so they would know if worthwhile to go photo?

Jeff

We have contacts here on our site and via email that gives us the "Heads Up" on things. We mostly get UP "Heads Up" alerts as of today, and that is because we lost our only BNSF contact that was on our site a few years ago.

Also, there are some railfans that get heads up and post here as well.  You will see them in the two "Heads Up" boards from the main page.  If you want to be alerted, make sure you click on "Notify" on those two boards' pages, also let us know and we can add you to the "Heads Up" group.
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster
ATCS Server Manager:

ddodell

Quote from: Jeff on December 26, 2019, 09:45:25 pmWe have contacts here on our site and via email that gives us the "Heads Up" on things. We mostly get UP "Heads Up" alerts as of today, and that is because we lost our only BNSF contact that was on our site a few years ago.

Also, there are some railfans that get heads up and post here as well.  You will see them in the two "Heads Up" boards from the main page.  If you want to be alerted, make sure you click on "Notify" on those two boards' pages, also let us know and we can add you to the "Heads Up" group.

Aha ... I did subscribe to the "Heads Up" group ... didn't realize it was "contacts" that were providing the information ... I thought there was a way to monitor it via ACTS etc ...

Jeff

Quote from: ddodell on December 26, 2019, 09:47:34 pmI thought there was a way to monitor it via ACTS etc ...

Maybe one day....  I have heard things coming..  :)
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster
ATCS Server Manager:

ddodell

Thanks, and couple of last questions if I may

(1) The symbol on TrainMon5 that looks like an inverted triangle with an exclamation mark ... is that a crossing?

(2) Is there a map that corresponds with the mileage markers on TrainMon5 with something like Google Maps so you can tell more exact the location of those signals are coming from?

Jeff

December 28, 2019, 06:30:29 pm #9 Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 06:30:42 pm by Jeff
(1) The symbol on TrainMon5 that looks like an inverted triangle with an exclamation mark ... is that a crossing?
On the Seligman Sub for the BNSF, those are the Defect Detectors.

(2) Is there a map that corresponds with the mileage markers on TrainMon5 with something like Google Maps so you can tell more exact the location of those signals are coming from?
Sign up for this group, download the Google Earth file and there you go :)   https://groups.io/g/RailfansGuide
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster
ATCS Server Manager: