Fire breaks out after train derailment, bridge collapse over Tempe Town Lake

Started by Cautious Coin, July 29, 2020, 07:38:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MallardDuckAZ

If UPs going to start sending their traffic into the valley on BNSF, will we see an increase of trains on the Peavine and AZRC?

Cautious Coin

Credit from the Railroads of Arizona Facebook page:
UP worked out a Haulage Rights agreement with BNSF to run two trains over the A&C into Phoenix, there may be more later.

The first one is a MKCPX departing Tucson in an hour. Second is a MTUPX tomorrow.

Both will run west on Sunset to Colton and up to Barstow.

BNSF crew will take over at Barstow or Daggett and run to Cadiz.

Trains will run down A&C to Matthie and into Phoenix.

BNSF crews will hand the trains back over to UP crews at Mobst or the interchange track.

First one excpected into Phoenix around 10am tomorrow. Obviously that time is subject to change and trains have a long way to go.

Unknown UP power at this time.
Gage or better know as Cautious Coin
Railfanning all over AZ and where my travels take me.

Trackside_Arizona - Ryan Adams

UP worked out a Haulage Rights agreement with BNSF to run two trains over the A&C into Phoenix, there may be more later.

The first one is a MKCPX departing Tucson in an hour. Second is a MTUPX tomorrow.

Both will run west on Sunset to Colton and up to Barstow.

BNSF crew will take over at Barstow or Daggett and run to Cadiz.

Trains will run down A&C to Matthie and into Phoenix.

BNSF crews will hand the trains back over to UP crews at Mobst or the interchange track.

First one excpected into Phoenix around 10am tomorrow. Obviously that time is subject to change and trains have a long way to go.

Unknown UP power at this time.

This was just sent to me by a well-known railfan/BNSF employee in Cali

Jeff

So... 7390 was not in the lead or was a different train that derailed?  DS was talking to 7390 East last night at MP918..  So which train derailed?
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster
ATCS Server Manager for RailFanAZ.com Sites:
- BNSF: Goffs, Lake Havasu, Kingman, Walapai, Crozier, Williams, Parks, West Flagstaff, East Flagstaff, Winslow and Joseph City.
- UP: Yuma, Fortuna, Tacna, Casa Grande, Mesa and South Tucson.
- BNSF/UP: Daggett, Phelan.

Cautious Coin

Quote from: Jeff on July 30, 2020, 10:18:18 amSo... 7390 was not in the lead or was a different train that derailed?  DS was talking to 7390 East last night at MP918..  So which train derailed?

7390 was in the lead of the train that derailed, the front half of the derailed train (which was UP7390 in the lead) was OK.

Jeff

Quote from: Cautious Coin on July 30, 2020, 10:21:37 am
Quote from: Jeff on July 30, 2020, 10:18:18 amSo... 7390 was not in the lead or was a different train that derailed?  DS was talking to 7390 East last night at MP918..  So which train derailed?

7390 was in the lead of the train that derailed, the front half of the derailed train (which was UP7390 in the lead) was OK.

So DS must have gotten confused?  Cause he was talking to 7390 last night not to proceed East past MP918....
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster
- BNSF: Goffs, Lake Havasu, Kingman, Walapai, Crozier, Williams, Parks, West Flagstaff, East Flagstaff, Winslow and Joseph City.

Jeff

That is what is so confusing!  Cause we all know it is going to take time to repair/replace the bridge.
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

Cautious Coin

Jeff

Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

Cautious Coin

Quote from: Jeff on July 30, 2020, 02:42:31 pm
Quote from: Cautious Coin on July 30, 2020, 10:27:51 amJeff do we know what power or such is on the MKCPX?

I don't see a MKCPX....
The FB post did say that a MKCPX was there, I am confused

Cautious Coin

UPDATE:

The F-PHXVAU7-30P is operating on the BNSF PHX Subdivision onto the Transcon heading to Vaughn NM to interchange with UP.

2 Leads (UP9048 and 9009), currently chugging up the Peavine.

Trackside_Arizona - Ryan Adams

So it seams the F-PHXVAU7-30P is the MPXTUB-28 (UP symbol) for anyone that is interested. Looks like the 2IKCPX-26 will also be rerouted. Not sure if they will combine with the IKCPX that is currently held at what looks to be red rock

-per a friends text

Jeff

I heard of the following three IKCPX trains: IKCPX-28, IKCPX-29, IKCPX-30 and the 2IKCPX-26.
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

Cautious Coin

Quote from: Jeff on July 30, 2020, 04:47:13 pmI heard of the following three IKCPX trains: IKCPX-28, IKCPX-29, IKCPX-30 and the 2IKCPX-26.

Isnt that 4 IKCPX trains?

Jeff

Quote from: Cautious Coin on July 30, 2020, 04:49:11 pmIsnt that 4 IKCPX trains?

No...  3 x IKCPX and 1 x 2IKCPX (Intermodal-KansasCity-Phoenix-2nd Train)     ;D
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

Cautious Coin

UPDATE:

The F-PHXVAU7 has still not left the BNSF PHX Sub. Last it was at in Abra for a crew change, but spent the night there.

Jeff

This was from last night from a good contact of mine:

2-IKCPX-26 (was IKCPX-26) originated at Stockham...last OS Maricopa at 2106,relief crew on duty at Gila Bend at 2000;should have 62x0 6205 tons, 4921ft...and has just the Yuma/Colton/Daggett/Phoenix OS points ahead.
2-IKCPX-27 (was IKCPX-27) will originate at Redrock and run the same detour route,figured ETD Redrock is 0630 on Saturday.He will have 52x5 5540 tons 4545ft.
I-KCPX-28 is by Raso at 2124 with 28x0 1050 tons, 1962 ft. 23 Tuscon intermodal and 5 Phoenix autos,terminates at Tuscon.
I-KCPX-29 is at Dalhart,TX...and IKCPX-30 by Topkea,KS...no changes to their profiles yet but looks like those will probably run to Tuscon and terminate with Tuscon traffic only.
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

uptrainz

Friend of mine railfanning today saw a EB manifest on the Peavine in a siding near Paulden led by 6 UP locos.

Photographic proof incoming!

Tom

Jeff

Announcement Number: CN2020-31
Categories: General Announcements
Posted Date: August 5, 2020
To Our Customers,

We continue to make progress in restoring service to the bridge over Tempe Town Lake that is impacting rail operations between Tempe and Arlington, Arizona.

While we have been able to reroute some trains to provide service to the affected area, we are encountering a backlog of traffic requiring the issuance of an embargo. Please see the AAR embargo page for additional details on affected shipments.

For those shipments already in route, customers should continue to expect a minimum of 72 hours of additional transit time as trains are rerouted. In some cases, the delay could be up to five days or more due to our current backlog of traffic and the volume of industries in this large metropolitan area.

Our Engineering and Operating teams have been working around the clock. All debris and damaged rail equipment have been removed and repairs to the bridge are well underway. We are currently anticipating reopening the bridge the end of next week. To assist in working off the backlog, we also plan to stage inbound trains at strategic locations to expedite delivery to customers once the bridge has reopened.

-Union Pacific
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

Jeff

Quote from: uptrainz on August 06, 2020, 05:40:00 pmFriend of mine railfanning today saw a EB manifest on the Peavine in a siding near Paulden led by 6 UP locos.

Photographic proof incoming!

Tom

Thanks Tom.
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

uptrainz

Haven't attempted to attach a photo yet on this site...is it possible?

uptrainz

BTW, just flew over the bridge reconstruction site over Tempe Town Lake. To see the progress UP has made in one week is breathtaking. They're already lifting new bridge decks in place. So much for my 90 day timeline...

I'm guessing UP engineering already had a backup plan for bridge repair/replacement in case something like this ever happened. Can't see how this would happen so quickly ontherwise.

I have three  photos to attach showing the progress, just have to figure out how!🤔

Jeff

Hi Tom,
After you click on Reply, there will be an option just below the Reply Window labled "Attachments and other options".  Click that and then "Add Files".

Hope that helps and can't wait to see the photos.

Thanks!
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

uptrainz

Not my photo...buddy sent to me. Near Paulden today.

uptrainz

Some photos of the bridge reconstruction at about 3 p.m. today...

Please note that your donations are not tax-deductible.

Thanks in advance for your generosity!