Railfanning UP in El Paso Texas

Started by KJ4AYO, March 11, 2021, 08:09:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ4AYO

I hope this is the right place to ask this but I am planning soon to be in the El Paso Texas area and was wondering
what advice you all may have for me.   Looking for a safe place if possible and plan to catch the Sunset Limited plus other traffic.
I plan to be in town on Sunday May 2nd. Once again please forgive me if I have posted this in the right area.

TIA,
Stuart Lodge
Atlanta

Jeff

Welcome to the site @KJ4AYO - As we are growing, we do have a few members from Texas and hope they can fill in.  I will also look around the TimeTable to see if El Paso is in the one I have.

Jeff

@AlamoRailfan - I believe you are in Texas, hope you can help our newest member with some pointers.  Maybe @Kevin might have some advise as well.

AlamoRailfan

March 12, 2021, 06:56:49 am #3 Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 06:58:23 am by AlamoRailfan
@KJ4AYO ,

I have been to El Paso before, and it is not a bad city to catch some trains. There are multiple areas you can stay to catch some action. The El Paso Amtrak Station is one of the better spots since it is completely public access. Downtown El Paso can allow you to catch the same trains, including the Dallas Street Yard to Alfalfa Yard Turn Job. If you are willing to drive further west, there is a spot that will allow you to catch not only the Toyah/Valentine/Carrizozo Sub but also the occasional BNSF Trains on the El Paso Sub. The two UP mains are on a nigh bridge, with the BNSF at ground level. Unfortunately, since it is near the Texas/Mexico border, the security is strong down there, and they can easily tell you that you are trespassing. If you do travel even further, there is a grade crossing just east of the Santa Teresa Terminal near some signals that are pretty accessible and not in an area with a ton of security. ATCS coverage for El Paso is pretty strong out there for the UP (No BNSF since the sub is TWC), so you should be able to track down lots of trains in the central area. If you have a radio scanner, you can go online to RadioReference and find the frequencies that are necessary to listen in. I hope this helps you out. Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, so we can get those situated. Happy hunting! :)

Jeff

South Line DS

About 1 block east of the El Paso depot is a little park with a close-up view of the west end of the trainway. About 8 blocks east of that is N. Campbell St with vantage points above the east end of the trainway, and good views of Dallas St yard.
Across the river in Sunland Park, NM there is an italian restaurant called Ardovino's Desert Crossing, the tracks go right past the parking lot. The Santa Teresa area is fun to watch and easy to get to. Going west from Santa Teresa gets you to some really nice train-watching, but you have to really like dirt roads.

Dennis Johnson, Las Cruces, NM

KJ4AYO

Thanks guys for all the good stuff

kj4ayo

KJ4AYO

One very important question I have yet to ask

What is the channel they use and what subdivision goes thru El Paso?

TIA

AlamoRailfan

There are various subs that go through El Paso. The BNSF El Paso Sub to Belen, NM, the UP Carrizozo Sub to Vaughn, NM, and UP Lordsburg Sub to Tucson, AZ. For Railroad frequencies, they can be found here: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=9847. Happy hunting!  :D

KJ4AYO

KJ4AYO

Just downloaded the ATCS UP Lordsburg and Valentine Subs. Is ATCS in place in El Paso?
On the Lordsburg Sub. I see a eastbound train coming to Wilna E.
On the Valentine I see nothing showing

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area

Is there anyone that might be available on May 2nd to hang out with for the day

Stuart Lodge
Atlanta

AlamoRailfan

April 04, 2021, 03:50:26 pm #11 Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 03:50:43 pm by AlamoRailfan
Stuart,
The UP Lordsburg Sub has server coverage, where the UP Valentine Sub unfortunately does not. I am unaware of anyone that would be able to be out on May 2nd for El Paso, since I am not based there. Sorry about that.

- Zach Nicolaou

KJ4AYO

Jeff

Hi Stuart, I believe El Paso has Server Coverage, however, looks like it might be down at the moment.  @Kevin is the Custodian and he is probably already aware of it.

KJ4AYO

Please note that your donations to RailFanAZ.com are not tax-deductible.

Thanks in advance for your generosity!