BNSF WF Sub, Texas (was: Jackrabbit Trading Post Display)

Started by cleatus99, May 10, 2021, 08:55:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cleatus99

I stopped by The JR Trading Post while driving down Route66 and saw the Display. Very cool! Unfortunately, the wife wouldn't let me stay and ask questions after I collected another set of souvenirs....

I live between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls, TX.

Is there any value in me setting up a local SDR and server?

I already feed ADSB data to a couple of flight tracking sites.

Bryan

Jeff

Hi Bryan,
Welcome to the site.  Cool, the Jack Rabbit is pretty cool.  Lots of cool things and great staff.  Would the site be at your location in Rhome, TX (per your profile)?  That would be the BNSF from what I can tell?

cleatus99

Yes sir, BNSF is the closest road to me, Herman is in sight and Decatur is nearby.

I am a Ham-radio operator, I have a home tower and the Alliance BNSF yard is 13 miles away. So I could probably receive that data as well.

UP also crosses through this area. Going from FTW to Chico, TX

Jeff

Let me reach out to my buddy for your area.  Stay Tuned.

Jeff

Great to hear about the Tower at home @cleatus99 and also awesome on being a HAM Operator, that is cool!  I have emailed my contact to have him check out this thread, once I hear back I will let you know.

Jeff

Jeff

@cleatus99,
I got word back this morning from the host custodian.  Here is what he said.

Quote"Jeff,
Thanks for the note.  If he is willing to fund the setup, I think that it would be a great addition, assuming that as a ham operator, he has a decent tower."

cleatus99

Jeff

Jeff

Hello Bryan,
Here is some more information:

QuoteLooks like he'd fill in Herman and maybe a siding or 2 north on the WF Sub? I'm looking at the terrain and it looks flat as a board mostly. I'm not sure how much power BN powers their radios with however. I tend to find them using really weak wattage power. Also it would fill in the transition gap between Ponder and Benbrook on the existing feed. It would be worth pitching it to the BNSF feed we have. I would like to see some test data though, if he winds up picking up a lot it may require a new feed so there's not much spillover onto the existing feed.

Let me know if you have any questions.  I use SDR(s) for all my sites.  Some have 2 SDRs due to the data.  PCs for me, are Win10 Pro with Processor Speeds ranging between 3.20 - 3.40 GHz with USB Suspend Disabled and 4GB of RAM. A few sites that I have, especially with the 2x SDRs and lots of traffic and audio feed have 8 GB of RAM.

Jeff

cleatus99

Which software is being used?
What SDR does seem to do best?

Jeff

Here is what we use and works pretty good:

- SDR Console 3.26 @ https://www.sdr-radio.com/download
- NooElec SDR Smart v4 - Black (Not the SmartTee)v4 @ Amazon
- Virtual Audio Cable (Full Version) - https://vac.muzychenko.net/

Hope this helps,
Jeff

This site is FREE of charge. However, the development and maintenance of this site, Remote Systems and RoboFoamer takes a significant amount of time to put together and maintain, with raising ISP and Server Costs as well. If you like what you see please help support our site by making a donation. Enjoy and Thank you for all your continued support!

Please note that your donations to RailFanAZ.com are not tax-deductible.

Thanks in advance for your generosity!