New Project - Belen, NM

Started by Christi, June 10, 2021, 07:17:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Christi

June 10, 2021, 07:17:28 pm Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 10:27:22 pm by Jeff
We have a host right outside the Belen, NM Yard that is willing to host.  We are putting together the equipment needs and will post here with the equipment list.  For this site to come online, we will need to assistance on funding.  See the next post for what we need.

Christi
Christi Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Support

Christi

June 10, 2021, 10:24:54 pm #1 Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:19:58 pm by Jeff
For Belen Yard, ATCS and an AudioFeed we have the following goal:
1 ) 1 x Dell PC = $150
2 ) 2 x SDRs = $75
3 ) UHF Adapters = $8.25
4 ) N Adapters = $8.15
5 ) WiFi High Performance Card = $19.99
6 ) 2x USB 3.0 Extensions for SDRs = $10.99
7 ) Comet Antenna (ATCS) = $140
8 ) Arrow Antenna (Voice) = $105
9 ) Heavy Duty Roof Mount = $21.95
10) GE Surge Protector for 6k Surge = $19.99
11) 2 x Surge/Ground for Antennas = $50.00
12) Travel Expenses/Shipping of Some Materials = $175 - 803 Miles Round Trip.
13) P896-937VDG w/F connectors $149.95 with PWRDC02 $18.95

Total Needed for Site = $953.22
*We have Cabling Quad-Shielded R6 and Connectors.

Once we hit the goal, we will get everything ordered and plan the install date.

For members that would like to help us reach this goal, you can use the "Support RailFanAZ.com" link on the top menu bar or the "Donate" button below.

Thanks for your support!
Christi
Christi Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Support

DDA40Xfan_Bruce

Hi Christi & Jeff,

I made a donation earlier in the day. Did you receive it ok? Looking forward to this coming to fruition. Have a great weekend.

Jeff

Quote from: DDA40Xfan_Bruce on June 12, 2021, 02:22:32 pmHi Christi & Jeff,

I made a donation earlier in the day. Did you receive it ok? Looking forward to this coming to fruition. Have a great weekend.

Hi Bruce, Thank you so much for the Donation, that definitely helps.  We are getting there.  Once we get the amount listed above, we will get the equipment ordered and setup.  Then post that we reached the goal. We currently have 2 sites planned for this trip.
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

Espeefan1973

Im a monthly donator I hope it helps :)

Jeff

Hi Espeefan1973, yes the monthly donation helps out greatly, we have it going into our ATCS Fund Account.  Your donation earlier this month, helped cover the cost of replacement hardware at Willcox.  With the new hardware, the City of Willcox can now start with the Antenna Installation Process.

Jeff
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

Christi

Quote from: Espeefan1973 on June 12, 2021, 05:09:39 pmIm a monthly donator I hope it helps :)

We really appreciate the support and it definitely helps keeping our network and hardware running and also for future expansions.

Quote from: DDA40Xfan_Bruce on June 12, 2021, 02:22:32 pmHi Christi & Jeff,

Thanks so much Bruce!  We really appreciate the support and can't wait to get this site up and running.

Christi
Christi Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Support

Christi

Good morning all,
I wanted to give an update on where we stand on the Belen Project.  Thanks to a few users that have donated.  With the donations we received, we started to get some of the equipment for the Project.

Belen Area will have a Comet KP-20 for ATCS coverage, and an Arrow Antenna VHF Beam pointing towards the yard to provide an AudioFeed, both using SDRs.

-As of 06/18/2021, we are about 32% funded for this project to be complete with all the necessary items from the list.

Thanks,
Christi
Christi Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Support

Jeff

Good Evening All,
Attached is the Belen Radio Channels we will program into the PC.

-As of 06/30/2021, we are about 35% funded for this project to be complete with all the necessary items from the list.

Belen_RadioChannels.jpg

Jeff
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

Jeff

Hi All,

We are getting closer to funding the New Mexico - Belen Project.  We do have a deadline set as we need to install before school starts in August (then on hold).  Once we get the funding, then it will be at least a week to get the equipment ordered and then so we can schedule to install by the end of the month.  Please spread the word if you can.

We are almost done with our Supporters page that will be public and will list the supporters (if desired) on that page for all donations.

Thanks again everyone for their help,
Jeff
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

Christi

Good Evening All,
For our future sites in New Mexico, here is where we are at for the two projects we have planned this month in New Mexico.  Thanks to the users that have donated so far, we appreciate it.  With the donations we received, we continue to get the equipment for the Projects below.  We have to secure the funds for this last project by 07/16 to have the time to get the rest of the equipment and install.

Project #1
For Belen Area, ATCS and an AudioFeed we have the following goal:
https://www.railfanaz.com/index.php/topic,5983.0.html

Belen Area will have a Comet KP-20 for ATCS coverage, and an Arrow Antenna VHF Beam pointing towards the yard to provide an AudioFeed, both using SDRs.

- As of 07/07/2021, we are about 68% funded, all we need is $300 more to secure this site.  If you can help, we would really appreciate it.

Project #2
For ATCS coverage from Bernalillo, NM.  We will point the Yagi N/NE following the tracks.  This will provide coverage for the NMRX. This site will be using a Yagi with 11dB and 1 x SDR.
https://www.railfanaz.com/index.php/topic,5985.0.html

- As of 06/22/2021, All Equipment Purchased.

We also have a Project Board and Issues/Outage Board if you would like to follow:
- Projects: https://www.railfanaz.com/index.php/board,151.0.html
- Issues/Outages: https://www.railfanaz.com/index.php/board,233.0.html

As always, if you like the service that we are providing for the hobby, please help with a donation of any kind. Donations are very appreciated and us to help fund the upgrades, equipment purchases, maintenance, as well as the month-to-month expenses that are required for ATCS Monitoring and AudioFeeds to be available for all.  This expense is for Internet Service which is roughly $140 / month to be able to have the ATCS and TM5 Relay Servers for the sites that use the connection from railfanaz.com.  In the past, it was only $100 / month, however, ISP rate changes over the years and the price tag went up.

You can go to the following site: http://www.railfanaz.com/SupportRailFanAZ.html or https://www.railfanaz.com/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=1 to find updates and the Secure PayPal Links. As mentioned before, we want to thank everyone that has already donated.  We greatly appreciate the support and generosity to make this possible.

Sincerely,

Christi Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster
ATCS Server Manager for RailFanAZ.com Sites:
- BNSF: Newberry Springs, Goffs, Lake Havasu, Kingman, Walapai, Crozier, Williams, Parks, West Flagstaff, East Flagstaff, Winslow, Joseph City, and Albuquerque.
- UP: Yuma, Fortuna, Tacna, Maricopa, Casa Grande, Mesa, Tucson, Kolb, Vail, Benson, and Willcox.
- BNSF/UP: Daggett, Phelan.
Christi Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Support

Christi

We will continue to update this thread with updates as we get them.  Thanks for all the support!

Christi
Christi Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Support

DDA40Xfan_Bruce

Good morning Jeff & Christi,

Made another donation to get Belen done.  Greatly looking forward to that additional coverage there and the audio.  Bernalillo will be interesting.  Will the ATCS/TM5 layouts be lengthened commensurate to the expanded coverage?  Has there been any discussion about Gallup?  I know y'all are looking at Grants.

Really appreciate the hard work on all this. 

Jeff

Good Morning Bruce,
Thank you for the donation, we have scheduled to install on the 18th.  :)

The estimation from the Propo Chart, Bernalillo should bring some of the NMRX map alive. We are using a pretty good Yagi for that location. Maybe have some Signal Bouncing, depending how NMRX has their CPs powered.  Once we see the coverage, Christi will update the TM5 Layout.  If we get most of NMRX, I believe Christi will make a NMRX Layout as well as expanding the other layout. We will see what we get, right now being the summer, heat hurts the signal but it will give us a more of what we can see.

I know we looked at Gallup, however, with no contacts and during the Covid last year, there was no luck for Gallup.  We can try again and see.

Jeff
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

Jeff

There is a Route 66 Railway Cafe located East of the Gallup Yard.  We can try them..

Jeff
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

Jeff

Maybe the Gallup Visitors Center/Amtrak Station.  We will see what we can find out.

Jeff
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

DDA40Xfan_Bruce

Quote from: Jeff on July 12, 2021, 08:01:07 amThere is a Route 66 Railway Cafe located East of the Gallup Yard.  We can try them..

Jeff
I thought we had eaten there but Google Maps says no.  Definitely want to stop there, looking over the menu at Maps.  Trying to get out and about more, might base a trip out of there.  Or ABQ.

Jeff

We went ahead and emailed the visitors center in Gallup.  They are also the Amtrak station.  Also we have confirmed with both hosts that 07/18 is the date.

Jeff
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

Jeff

@DDA40Xfan_Bruce - Christi got a host for Gallup, NM.  It is at the Gallup Cultural Center.

Jeff
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

DDA40Xfan_Bruce

You and Christi are amazing. Thanks for the update.  Guess this means more donations.  ;)

Christi

Thanks Bruce!  If we can get enough in time, maybe we can do it this weekend.  We will see how it goes.

Christi
Christi Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Support

Christi

Hi Everyone, we will see about getting the equipment based on donations for this site.  I am talking with the host to see the location and room for the install.  I also see he is next to the Gallup Yard (is that still used)?

Christi
Christi Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Support

Christi

Christi Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Support

DDA40Xfan_Bruce

Quote from: Christi on July 12, 2021, 10:37:30 pmHi Everyone, we will see about getting the equipment based on donations for this site.  I am talking with the host to see the location and room for the install.  I also see he is next to the Gallup Yard (is that still used)?

Christi

I would believe so as several things occur there that would require yard space.
BNSF adds DPUs to WB trains there for the climbs of the grades.  So there would be at least yard space used to park them.  The trains being added to may be pulled into the yard to accomplish that.
BNSF has pulled steel coils off trains at Gallup to create a unit steel train U-GUPBAR. It may take several days to accumulate the loads.
BNSF has made up trains for Phoenix, they are autoracks as I recall, too early to recall the symbol.

If I railfan there, I would hope to catch some of that.

Jeff

Thank you Bruce for the additional information and support.  That is good to know about Gallup.  According to the host, we will setup almost the same as La Posada.  Display will have the layout opened so visitors and Amtrak passengers can view it while they are in the lobby.

Jeff
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

RailFanAZ.com | SouthWest - Content © Respective Members 2011-2022