BNSF Defiance Sub

Started by DougJ, May 12, 2022, 04:48:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DougJ

May 12, 2022, 04:48:01 pm Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 04:48:26 pm by DougJ
Been looking for info on the internet and Trainorders about the BNSF Defiance Sub in New Mexico. Is there still any traffic on it? The last chat topics I could find were from about 10 years ago and it appeared that the mines that fed the sub were closing. A Google maps review of the line shows the rails still in albeit somewhat overgrown in spots at least part of the way to the vicinity of Window Rock.  Does anyone have any more recent info? Thanks in advance.

Doug J

Think I put it in the correct topic this time!

Jeff

Hi Doug,
To be honest, I am not sure what uses that line.  It does seem when there is Switching going on in Gallup, they use the Wye.  @DDA40Xfan_Bruce might know more cause he listens more to the RadioFeed that is there.

Jeff
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

DougJ

Thanks Jeff - by the way well done with the Willcox project - one of my favorite railfanning sites for next to 30 years.

DDA40Xfan_Bruce

Quote from: DougJ on May 12, 2022, 04:48:01 pmBeen looking for info on the internet and Trainorders about the BNSF Defiance Sub in New Mexico. Is there still any traffic on it? The last chat topics I could find were from about 10 years ago and it appeared that the mines that fed the sub were closing. A Google maps review of the line shows the rails still in albeit somewhat overgrown in spots at least part of the way to the vicinity of Window Rock.  Does anyone have any more recent info? Thanks in advance.

Doug J

Think I put it in the correct topic this time!

According to Ted Ferkenhoff the Carbon Coal mine on the Defiance Sub is loading for Mitsubishi Cement Cushenbury CA and Lone Star Cement at Wards Spur TX.  Occasionally BNSF has tied down trains on one of the legs of the wye.  The Cushenbury coal train will be seen on the Flagstaff camera.  The Lone Star Cement train will get seen at Belen NM.

DDA40Xfan_Bruce

The El Segundo Mine on the Lee Ranch Sub is also still shipping out coal.

Jeff

Thanks @DDA40Xfan_Bruce for the information! 

Jeff
Jeff Rossi
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

DDA40Xfan_Bruce

YW, glad I could assist.

DougJ

Thanks to both of you for your assistance. I will probably give them a look when I head that way later this year.

Doug J

RailFanAZ.com | SouthWest - Content © Respective Members 2011-2022