Author Topic: New Customer for the LKK48  (Read 837 times)

Offline Buckeye Local

• RailFan
New Customer for the LKK48
« on: November 30, 2017, 10:34:45 am »
   I've lived in Buckeye for 10 years and have never seen any railcars in the Newell/Rubbermaid plant. I could always see the switchstand and the loading dock but could never see the rail on the RM property from MC85. Roughly 6 months ago I saw tamper and regulator was working near the switchstand. Yesterday I was driving down MC 85 and looked over at the old Rubbermaid plant/warehouse and saw a hopper and 2 TBOX boxcars at the loading dock. I drove over by the front entrance of the building and noticed that Rubbermaid had moved out and a business has moved in. Their specialty is packaging for the food industry.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:39:41 am by Buckeye Local »

Offline RailFan Arizona

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • RailFanAZ.com
Re: New Customer for the LKK48
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 04:51:52 pm »
That's cool for the LKK48.  I wonder how much rail cars they get in a week.  Is it the dock to the East of the 85?
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster
https://www.railfanaz.com

Offline Buckeye Local

• RailFan
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 01:55:56 pm »
 It is actually within the city limits of Goodyear on the Northwest corner of Cotton Lane and MC85.  I'll keep an eye on the consists list for the LKK48 and see how often they setout/pickup from there.

Offline Buckeye Local

• RailFan
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 09:32:50 am »
 In response to TrainVideoPro's post on the Buckeye local and the Grain Train, The Buckeye Local LKK48 runs Monday-Friday except holidays. It usually starts its day switching cars it brought in from Tolleson the day before. After switching whatever needs to be setout and picked up, it goes to Tolleson and drops off cars for the LKK49 to take to Phoenix and brings back railcars the LKK49 left for the LKK48 to take to Buckeye for its next days work. The LKK 48 customers include:

The grain facility ay Sarival Road and MC 85
Huhtakami  (old Rubbermaid plant) at Cotton Lane and MC85
Wilber-Ellis  (Buckeye)
Thatcher Company of Arizona (Buckeye)
Arizona Grain (Buckeye)
Helena (Buckeye)
Western Milling (Buckeye)
Hickman Farms (Dixie)
Duke Energy (power Plant)
Sempra Energy (power Plant)

There are actually 2 different Grain Trains that come to Buckeye. One for Hickman Farms and the other one is for Western Milling. The LKK48 also setout loads and pull empties from WM and HF. The  loaded Grain Trains usually come through Buckeye after dark even if they come into Phoenix in the daytime. Western Milling gets loads of Cattle Feed. It has probably been 2 years or so since the LKK48 has been out to the power plants. Whenever a Heavyweight Flatcar comes in with a load for the power plant, the car is setout on the tracks going to Arizona Grain and the load is put on a truck and taken to the power plant. I'm not sure about trains approaching Buckeye but the tracks west of Buckeye have a speed limit of 25MPH. UP would like to bring it up to 40MPH but they would need to do some track work first. Roughly 3-4 years ago, UP replaced all the signals out here with LED signals. Within the last year or two, UP has been storing Grain Hoppers (can be seen if using Google Earth) out on the Out of Service Trackage west of the wye in Arlington.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 09:38:01 am by Buckeye Local »

Offline RailFan Arizona

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • RailFanAZ.com
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 10:20:56 pm »
Good Info, Thanks!
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster
https://www.railfanaz.com