RailFanAZ.com News

This site is FREE of charge.  However, the development and maintenance of this site, Remote Systems and RoboFoamer takes a significant amount of time to put together and maintain, with raising ISP and Server Costs as well. If you like what you see please help support our site by making a donation. Enjoy and Thank you for all your continued support!
Donations will show going to "RailFan /w MyTeggyPC", that is us. We are now RailFanAZ.com.

Please note that your donations are not tax-deductible.

Thanks in advance for your generosity!

Railroad Radio Feeds

Author Topic: Union Pacific Local Train Symbols  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Buckeye Local

• RailFan
Union Pacific Local Train Symbols
« on: July 17, 2015, 10:30:50 am »
LKK10   Phoenix-Pipeola-Phoenix
LKK21   Phoenix-Tempe-West Chandler--Mesa-Phoenix
LKK30   Mesa-Tremaine-Chandler-Dock-Mesa
LKK48   Buckeye - Tolleson- Dixie-Buckeye
LKK49   Phoenix-Tolleson-Phoenix
LKL63   Casa Grande-Cowtown-Eloy-Casa Grande
LKL72   Tucson-Pichcho-Casa Grande
LKL73   Casa Grande-Tucson
LKP36   Tucson-Wilmot-Benson-Mescal-Tucson
LKT21   Tucson-Shauarita-Tucson
LKT71   Phoenix-Tucson
LKT72   Tucson-Magma-Mesa-Phoenix
LKY38   Yuma
LKY50   Yuma-Roll-Yuma

MPXTU   Phoenix-Tucson
MTUPX   Tucson-Phoenix
MTUWC  Tucson
QWCTU  West Colton-Tucson

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 03:02:23 pm by Buckeye Local »

Offline RailFan Arizona

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • RailFanAZ.com
Re: Union Pacific Local Train Symbols
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 11:31:21 am »
Nice Info!  Thanks for sharing!
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster
https://www.railfanaz.com

Offline qualitymanifest

• RailFanAZ.com Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 09:25:59 pm »
I hear both the LKL72 and the LKL73 all the time, but they're never called that on the radio - both of them get called the "Casa Grande hauler", which can be a little confusing figuring out which one they're referring to. The Tucson-Casa Grande trip leaves in a pretty tight window, almost always between 4pm and 6pm. It works Rillito maybe half the time, the dispatcher always asks if they are going to when they depart.

It's pretty rare for me to hear the LKT72 but when I do they usually just call it the Magma. The only time I have logged for it was recent - departing Tucson 1/6/17 at 1pm.

I saw the LKP36 in Benson once a couple years ago - departed 10am. It had a few domestic stacks (I guess it picks those up at Wilmot?) on the front, the rest was tankers.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:41:02 pm by qualitymanifest »

Offline RailFan Arizona

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • RailFanAZ.com
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 05:09:10 pm »
Good Info to know, Thanks!

I hear both the LKL72 and the LKL73 all the time, but they're never called that on the radio - both of them get called the "Casa Grande hauler", which can be a little confusing figuring out which one they're referring to. The Tucson-Casa Grande trip leaves in a pretty tight window, almost always between 4pm and 6pm. It works Rillito maybe half the time, the dispatcher always asks if they are going to when they depart.

It's pretty rare for me to hear the LKT72 but when I do they usually just call it the Magma. The only time I have logged for it was recent - departing Tucson 1/6/17 at 1pm.

I saw the LKP36 in Benson once a couple years ago - departed 10am. It had a few domestic stacks (I guess it picks those up at Wilmot?) on the front, the rest was tankers.
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

Offline qualitymanifest

• RailFanAZ.com Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 12:51:43 pm »
Kinda bizarre update on the LKT72 today. It was having problems with a trespasser around M.P. 981.5 (between Cherry and Stockham) and had to wait a while for a special agent to show up. The dispatcher referred to this train as the MTUPX several times before he ever called it the LKT72. While it is a manifest going from Tucson to Phoenix, I thought it was strange that they were referring to it using a train symbol for another train, instead of it's proper symbol or "the Magma / the Phoenix" as they sometimes do.
This was around 12:00, think it started heading west again around 12:30. The leader was UP 4588.

Offline RailFan Arizona

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • RailFanAZ.com
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 10:24:29 pm »
UP 4588 West was the MTUPX-03 according to my contact.
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

Offline qualitymanifest

• RailFanAZ.com Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 11:59:35 pm »
Good to know, thanks. I definitely heard both symbols, and in the same short time period, but they specifically addressed the MTUPX when they were talking about the trespasser issue. I just assumed when I heard the LKT72 that that was what they meant all along, since the dispatcher often switched between symbol and lead unit number anyway.

In my experience this is a normal time range for the LKT72, but very abnormal for the MTUPX, which usually departs 8pm-midnight. After I saw your reply I figured it must have been the MTUPX from the previous night leaving late, but the 03 date suffix refutes that. Curious why the MTUPX was leaving so early, maybe to avoid a work window on the Phoenix sub?

On an unrelated note, where can I post train sightings? I don't want to pollute the "Union pacific train sightings" thread since it seems like that isn't meant to be a discussion area.

Offline RailFan Arizona

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • RailFanAZ.com
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 12:10:02 am »
On an unrelated note, where can I post train sightings? I don't want to pollute the "Union pacific train sightings" thread since it seems like that isn't meant to be a discussion area.

I can make a new category for sightings, if that would work.
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster

Offline RailFan Arizona

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
    • RailFanAZ.com
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 12:14:29 am »
RailFanAZ.com Webmaster